Thursday, September 10, 2009

Homework avoidance :)

So I was listening to a song in the car while delivery today and I thought about something that happened to me recently...

I was at Six Flags with my family and we were waiting in line to buy tickets, it was about 3 in the afternoon and there were 3 lines open with about 15 people in each line, when the line to the right of us closed it made some (especially those in the front) very upset which is understandable it was hot, we were standing in the sun, most had youngish kids, and we had been waiting in line for about 20 or 30 minutes. So when this all happened one of the ladies up front said a nasty word to the lady closing her line, then went in stood in the back of our line like everyone else. About 5 minutes later the line to the left of us closed as well... STUPID IDEA SIX FLAGS!!!! Thankfully we were in the CORRECT non-closing line :) About 5 more minutes passed and I saw a short (he was shorter than me) extremely muscular (compensating maybe?) security guard walk up to a black middle-aged man with kids and confront him, needless to say I and the before mentioned lady, her husband and kids all turned and looked at this security guard like "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" well he got that egotistical look in his eye and said sir calm down I just want to ask you to step out of line and talk to me... Well needless to say this man (who had been standing in line for at least 30 minutes said no but I'll talk to you here... The security guard then said the check out lady reported someone saying a swear word in her line, and she pointed you out. The lady who was guilty spoke up right away, explained herself (needless to say cussing ALOT) to which the security guard said, without turning his back to the black guy, ok well ma'm we have alot of young kids around and we don't tolerate profanity so you need to calm down and refrain from cussing. Then he walked away...

This was eye opening, I had never really witnessed such blatant racial profiling before. And more than that everything in the guards actions screamed with prejudice. It made me furious, but also hopeful that the lady to blame spoke up, I don't even want to know what would have happened if she hadn't.

I pray that no matter what happens I will always be known for my love for all peoples, gender, race, domination, and culture.

"For this is how you shall know my disciples, by their love for one another" -Paraphrased from Jesus

1 comment: